Student Member Selection Criteria:
Selections for the NHS and NJHS happen in the spring. Selection is a privilege, not a right. Students do not apply for membership into either society; instead the selection is by the unanimous agreement of the WCA Honor Society Faculty Council. The consensus is reached after teacher recommendations are reviewed and carefully considered. Membership is not automatically conveyed simply because a student has achieved a specificed level of academic performance. NHS and NJHS are more than just an honor role. Students who are evaluated demonstrate outstanding performance in all four criteria - scholarship, leadership, service, and character.
STUDENTS -- HOW TO BE CONSIDERED:
Students must have been at WCA for a full semester before they are considered for membership.
Membership into NHS is open to qualified freshmen, sophomores and juniors.
Membership into NJHS is open to qualified seventh and eighth graders.
Minimum GPA requirement to establish eligibility for each society is a cumulative 3.5
STUDENTS WHO MEET THE SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENT ARE THEN ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION ON THE BASIS OF SERVICE, LEADERSHIP, AND CHARACTER.
Leadership criteria include:
resourcefulness in making new suggestions and applying principles
initiative in promoting and supporting school activities
exercising positive influence on peers in upholding school ideals
contributing ideas that improve the civic life of the school
exemplifying positive Christian attitudes and behaviors
demonstrating academic initiative
successfully holding school offices or positions of responsibility
demonstrating reliability and dependability in any responsibility accepted
showing leadership in classroom, school, work, church and community activities
Service criteria include:
- actions undertaken by the student which are done without direct financial or material compensation
- cheerfully volunteering
- working well with others
- cheerfully and enthusiastically rendering any requested service to the school
- willingly representing class or school in various capacities
- committee and staff work without complaint
- outside school involvement
- courteously assisting teachers and fellow students
Character criteria include:
- demonstrating the following qualities: respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, caring, citizenship, integrity and truthfulness
- taking criticism willingly and accepting recommendations graciously
- consistently exemplifying the fruits of the spirit
- upholding principles of morality and ethics
- complying with school regulations
- demonstrating the highest standards of honesty and reliability
- observing instructions and rules, being punctual and faithful both inside and outside the classroom
- manifesting truthfulness
- actively keeping from bad influences and encouraging others to as well